Tuesday, March 22, 2011

If they don’t pick me what can I do

Retiring paceman Shoaib Akhtar says Pakistan winning the ICC Cricket World Cup is more important than his 250th ODI wicket.


Even as news of him not playing the World Cup quarterfinal against the West Indies does the rounds in the media, Shoaib Akhtar is not a worried man. When he had announced his decision to quit cricket last week, Akhtar was sure his future in the World Cup was as good as over.

Akhtar didn’t play the match against Australia but as the senior statesman in the side, he was quite busy on the sidelines. After the national anthems were over at the Premadasa on Saturday, Akhtar exchanged pleasantries with Brett Lee and Shaun Tait, two men who can hurl the cricket ball at over 150 kmph.

The temperamental fast bowler looked aloof but Akhtar seems to be taking this detachment in his stride. In an exclusive interview Akhtar said: “I wanted to make way for the juniors, so even if I don’t get my 250th wicket it is fine. It will be dream to reach that landmark, but if I don’t get picked, there is not much I can do. I still remain the fastest bowler in this World Cup.”

Akhtar said: “Pakistan winning the World Cup is far more important than reaching personal goals. For me, nation comes first. That’s the way I have been. So I will accept any team decision.”

Akhtar said he will remain prepared in case the team needed him. He added: “There will be no sadness if I don’t play. I have had my time and it was my determination to play this World Cup which I have done. I was good enough to play for Pakistan again.”

Even though his career has been marked with controversies, Akhtar says, “I want to be born a cricketer again. I am a true Pakistani who is honest and with a clear conscience. Even if I have pain in my bones, I will love to bowl fast once again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog